Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines

Feel it HOT HOT HOT!!!

That basically sums up my trip here to the Philippines. The Weather was hot, the people were great and had warm personalities and this place is amazing. Plus I hate it in cold weather when I can’t feel my toes after the bike, so bring on the heat.

My experience here has been wonderful, we have been treated like rock stars, the venue for the race was beautiful and the event was put on at a world class level which is an amazing achievement for an inaugural race.

Onto a quick summary of the race. The Pro field, although small was definitely high quality with Cameron Brown, Chris Macca McCormack, Pete Jacobs and Tim Mar summing up the male Pros, but with prize money only going 3 deep it was going to be a fight until the end. The swim kicked off at 7am, the pace was controlled as we all knew how hard the day ahead of us was going to be. Jacob’s lead most of the way on the 2 loop course around the wake board park (which we will come to later)! All 5 of us where out together and it was onto the 90km bike. I had a shocker of a transition losing both my shoes getting on the bike. I quickly fixed this and caught back up. Most of the ride was steady except for when Brownie made a break for it at about 30km. He managed to keep away for a good 20km but we soon reeled him back in. The crowds out on the bike and run course where huge. Thousands of locals were out there supporting and cheering. It reminded me of IM Frankfurt where there were half a million spectators.

Then it was off for the 21km run. The course was pretty flat but the temperatures were well over 30’C. Macca left transition at a crazy pace that I didn’t match. He gained a 30sec lead, but was always in my sights. At about 7km I caught back up. We ran together for 5km, Brownie was not too far behind and we were dying. Running through aid stations trying to collect as much fluid and gels as we could to hydrate and cool ourselves down. I got a bit of a gap on Macca and didn’t want to slow as I knew Brownie was close and he looked like he was running fast. I made the last turn around at 15km and was home bound but I really started to struggle now. I managed to hang on for the win, but my insides were cooking. Macca stuck it out for 2nd and Brownie came in 3rd. I guess if you count Macca’s Maori heritage you can say kiwi’s 1/2/3. On the girls side we had Lisa Bentley 1st, Gina Kehr 2nd and Charlotte Paul 3rd. www.ironman703phil.com

Once the race was over we all had a go at the wake board park. What fun! I Will get a picture of my insane move that I managed to pull next time (but when shown how to do it by the pros… and governor LRay of Camsur my trick looks almost invisible).

All in all a great trip. The community really got behind the event and put on a awesome show. Can’t wait to get back here next year.

Off to Kona tomorrow, will be in touch once I have settled in

Cheers

T

ABOUT ME

Birthday: 1 March 1985.
Nickname: T.
Education: Two years Physiotherapy; 1 year Business Degree.
Occupation: Professional Triathlete
Coach: Performance Lab-Jon Ackland (since 1999)
Pilates: IQ Pilates-Raewin Hing
Language: English
Height: 179cm
Home Town: Auckland, New Zealand.
Favorite Food: Mums pizza. sushi, chocolate, Ice!
Interests: Snow Boarding; Tennis; Surfing; Movies.
Favorite Holiday: Banyan Tree Resort at Laguna Phuket, Thailand
Best Running Trail: Portland Oregon USA
Best overall Training: North Shore, Auckland, NZ / USA
Best surf Beach: Kumara Patch Taranaki.