Rev 3 Anderson

I just finished the Revolution 3 Half Ironman in Anderson, South Carolina and while a victory would have been nice I am really please with how I performed to finish in 3rd place behind Andrew Starykowicz and Ben Collins.

Training the past few weeks in California has gone really well. My fitness has taken a big jump forward and I was really looking forward to testing things out this weekend.

I struggled a little through the Swim but came out with all the contenders. Jumping onto the bike there was a little congestion and I couldn't do my normal flying mount as guys were swerving all over the place. Andrew Starykowicz who has a solid figure soon came thundering through the whole group up a small climb in a gear that must have been a 54 x 13 (that’s a gear most would ride on downhills). Ben Collins had a small gap on the group and jumped onto his ticket outa there when Stary came past.

Our group on the bike struggled to find any rhythm and I knew if this kept up we would be looking at a big deficit off the bike. I tried a couple times to get away from the group and both times I thought I had done enough to isolate myself, but both times I was reeled in. I am honored that I had this target on my back by my competitors but I wish we would have all road steadier throughout. Finally with 15miles to go 4 of us managed to get away and the pace was good the rest of the way, we limited our loses but were still looking at a nine and a half minute deficit on Stary and over 6 minutes on Collins.

Richie Cunningham sped out of transition onto the run which got me in the mode to run fast. We were running well together, a couple 5:15 miles then all of a sudden he had dropped off. I wasn't sure if I could catch up to the leaders being that far back but I thought I would try and it was a good test to see where my running form was at. I kept the pressure on the whole run and was really proud of how I managed to keep it together the whole 13miles. I was making some good ground those middle 7 miles but it was going to be too little too late. Crossing the line in 3rd place in a time of 1hr51min50sec, 40seconds down on Collins and 2.5minutes off Starkowicz. My 1hr 11minute half marathon on a hilly course, while a great time didn't make any difference to the overall standings but I had a good day and hats off to Andrew and Ben for unbelievable races. 

Check out http://rev3tri.com/live/ for a quick update from me at the finish line (may need to scroll to about 40 seconds into it)

Next stop for me is going to be Miami 70.3 in two weeks time followed by the Taiwan 70.3 on the way home to NZ.

ABOUT ME

Birthday: 1 March 1985.
Nickname: T.
Education: Two years Physiotherapy; 1 year Business Degree.
Occupation: Professional Triathlete
Coach: Performance Lab-Jon Ackland (since 1999)
Pilates: IQ Pilates-Raewin Hing
Language: English
Height: 179cm
Home Town: Auckland, New Zealand.
Favorite Food: Mums pizza. sushi, chocolate, Ice!
Interests: Snow Boarding; Tennis; Surfing; Movies.
Favorite Holiday: Banyan Tree Resort at Laguna Phuket, Thailand
Best Running Trail: Portland Oregon USA
Best overall Training: North Shore, Auckland, NZ / USA
Best surf Beach: Kumara Patch Taranaki.